Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cancer Buddies

Funny story:
Teenage boy has had a "suspicious" mole on his cheek for, um, a few years. As per usual with our family, we have ignored it. Until now. After this summer, it really is looking stranger.

So, I make him an appointment at my dermatologist (who diagnosed the immediacy of having the strange spot on my foot removed), but I don't tell him. Because, let's be honest, we've worried enough about cancer in our house this year, teen boy especially (though he would NEVER admit it).

On the way to the doctor is when I actually tell him why we're going. And we had a pretty funny conversation. And I remembered that he really is a great kid who I love dearly, even if this past year has NOT been proof of that.

He decided that we were going to be "cancer buddies." Because he's as much doom and gloom as I am, and was sure that he was going to have skin cancer. I can't really recreate the conversation, but it reminded me why we get along so well...same grim sense of humor!

Oh, and it turns out, there was nothing to worry about. Mole was completely normal. So, he's not going to be my cancer buddy after all...THANK GOODNESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment