Saturday, January 25, 2014

Friday Five...a Day Late...

Whoops! This is a day late to actually be a true Friday Five, but we can all pretend, right?

1. First and foremost, I signed up/created a team for the Relay for Life event happening here in June! Team Stupid Cancer...here we come! What is Relay for Life?
"At Relay For Life events, communities come together to honor cancer survivors, remember loved ones lost, and fight back. Relay For Life teams camp out overnight and take turns walking or running around a track at a local high school. Events are up to 24 hours long, and because cancer never sleeps, each team is asked to have at least one participant on the track at all times."
I am excited to participate in this event for many reasons:

  • Funds raised benefit the American Cancer Society and benefits people fighting all types of cancers.
  • This is a great participatory/community building event...and doesn't require quite the commitment of a 3Day (which I totally want to do again some day...just not now).
  • I am hoping some of my local cancer peeps will join me in walking the "survivors lap."
  • I am hoping you will join my team! Click here to join! Want to find out more? Click on the event's "Learn About Relay" page here.


2. Naps are a part of my life. I could not survive without them. My week looked like this: 
Monday: holiday...attempt to clean house...ha, ha, ha, that's funny since it's possible all I did was sit on my ass; 
Tuesday: Work 1/2 day, physical therapy; 
Wednesday: Work, meetings, plotting world domination through making reading fun, 4 HOUR NAP;
Thursday: Had to take a sick day because I could not move. Not exaggerating AT ALL. More physical therapy, where she mentioned that working full-time is obviously a horrible idea and I should consider going to half-time. Yes honey, I've actually thought about that, trust me. Now, if only I could actually afford to do that.
Friday: Worked all day, came home and took another nap. Wild and crazy week for me!

3. Katy Perry is coming to town and I got tickets. The story about how I finally got a hold of the presale tickets is HILARIOUS, but I did it. I can't explain how much I need to go see this concert, but Katy's music has really gotten me through some DARK times this past year, and I need to be there in person to celebrate! Now, who's coming with me??? 

4. My brain still does not function like it used to and the only way that I can survive at work is to write a sticky  note every time I think of something I need to do/want to do/have to remember/book title/instructions from someone. My desk is currently COVERED with them. Again, not an exaggeration. There's at least 25 of them on there right now. A friend came into my office on Friday and started laughing about this organizational system I have going...it really is a sight to behold.

5. Because I forgot to post the Friday Five on Friday, I can actually show you the family pictures we had taken today rather than just mention that we are going to get them done. A friend volunteered her services back when I was finishing up treatments, and I decided to wait until after Hawaii so that we might all look like we hadn't really holed up inside our house for the past year. It was FREEZING this morning...and EARLY. But it was beautiful out. And she captured some AMAZING shots. I am so grateful for this experience and these images. I know that I say it all the time now and you don't believe me, but life is too short, so you really need to get these things done folks. Take the trips, cross the things off your bucket list, and get some photos taken of you and your family. And I know that my kids wanted to die because it was "so early on a Saturday" but they had a good time (teenage boy even said, "it was actually kinda fun...not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be"), but I hope that some day they appreciate these photos. I wish I had more of my brother and I together...from when we were kids and today. (But since we both hate being in pictures, that probably explains it. I'm sure my mother just gave up). So thank you Heidi (Heidi King Photography) for your beautiful photos which we will truly treasure. (And she doesn't know I'm plugging her services on the blog, so please don't think she's paying me to promote her).

Here are a couple of the great images:




No comments:

Post a Comment