Friday, January 31, 2014

Friday Five

It has been a crazy week here in Seattle with almost everything being Super Bowl-related. It's quite awesome for this sorta Seattle native (I've lived here since I was 10, so that has to count, right?) and self-confessed sports junkie. Very exciting! Go Hawks!

Here's the 5 this week:

1. MONDAY SUCKED! TREMENDOUSLY! WORST EXPERIENCE EVER AT A DOCTOR'S OFFICE! And I thought I had been screwed over all the ways possible by the medical profession. I was wrong. Because I posted a cryptic message on Facebook right after it happened which led everyone to thinking that I had received bad news, I will attempt to briefly make a long story short, here goes:
I have, all along, been going to the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance facility at Evergreen Hospital. I LOVE everyone there. However, being in desperate need of psychiatric help for my PTSD, I had to schedule an appointment at the SCCA facility on Lake Union as they do not offer those services at Evergreen Hospital. It was my first (and last) time in this office. So many things about the whole experience made me twitch. But the reason I got so irate is really long and convoluted.
Had appointment with a doctor there at 1pm.
Checked in at 1pm. They page the doctor.
Sat down in ENORMOUS waiting room, surrounded by signs that say, "If you haven't been called in 15 minutes after checking in, please check in again."
1:15pm goes by, but I don't want to be that person.
1:30pm: I check in again. And point out that I have to leave at 2:00 in order to pick up my kids from school. They page the doctor again.
1:45pm goes by...now I'm mad.
2:00pm: I go check in again (for the 3rd time). This time however, all I want is a manager to talk to and to make sure that I NEVER get charged for this visit. And to point out that I just took 3 hours off without pay and have nothing to show for it. They go find a manager and page the doctor again.
2:02pm: a very young, and clearly not well-versed in how to deal with patients, gal comes flitting to the desk and says, with a slight giggle, "Oh, Dr. Chen? He's not here today."
And then I go crazy!  
So, the doctor was not even at work today? And people knew this? And no one called me? Canceled my appointment? Told me one of the 3 times I checked in? How long would I have sat there? Does the guy have a 2:00 appointment waiting in the waiting room also?
So, the gal they finally send out to talk to me is GREAT. And bursts out into tears with how sad she is for what has happened. And is a cancer survivor herself. Which is a good thing she was the one sent to deal with us because she actually understood my frustration.
By the time I get home, I have 3 messages from different people apologizing for the day. One offers to send me a form so I can apply for reimbursement of my time and expenses (never seen that before). We'll see.

Long story, sorry. Cupcakes made everything better. Keith smartly drove directly from this fiasco to the cupcake store. I had 2 for dinner and took a 4 hour nap and the world was bearable again. 
Seriously folks, probably not best to make the already unstable patient that much more crazy. Just sayin'...

2. I was watching the Grammy's and realized that Cyndi Lauper and I now have the same hair color (or at least VERY close). Wow! Growing up in the Cyndi Lauper era, I have to admit that's a sentence I never thought I'd write.

3. The hospital that was suing us for our minimal outstanding bill ($800...which in the grand scheme of things is minuscule compared to all the $$ that we owe), which they stopped billing us for so how were we supposed to know we hadn't paid it off (but that's a whole other discussion), just garnished my paycheck for $1,300. Awesome. Don't even get me started. Makes me want to become a patient advocate so that others will not get screwed the way we have.

4. It's been a long, hard year for everyone here in the Yusko clan. I try really hard not to diminish all that the rest of the family went through even though my year has been pretty "me" focused. Teenage boy did not have the best year by any stretch of the imagination, and there have been many days that I considered selling him to the highest bidder. But then I realize that he is so much like me...and I appreciate the fact that he can ALWAYS make me laugh. Whatever the situation. I am so glad that no one has lost their sense of humor in this family, especially him. So many times this week I have laughed because of him. Thank you.

5. I could never begin to repay the kindnesses shown to me and my family this past year and a half. NEVER. Can't even imagine trying. So, when a friend posted this "Pay it Forward" Challenge on her Facebook page last week, I jumped at the chance to participate. So, instead of paying it back, I'm going to pay it forward this year! (And since the concept comes, I think, from one of my favorite books, I really love this movement).


Pay-it-Forward initiative: The first five (I'm actually going to do 10) people who comment on this post/Facebook post/email me with "I'm in", will receive a surprise from me at some point in this calendar year - anything from a book, a ticket, a visit, something homegrown or made, a postcard, absolutely any surprise! There will be no warning and it will happen when the mood comes over me and I find something that I believe would suit you and make you happy. These five (10) people must make the same offer in their Facebook status and distribute their own joy. Simply copy this text onto your profile (and again, you only have to do five, but I wanted to do 10). 

I'm really looking forward to doing this! Cannot wait to see who's in it with me.

And a bonus:
6. I hit the "Register Now" button for the Iron Girl Triathlon in August. Yikes! Who's with me??? Who's going to teach me how to swim? Yeah, that's kind of going to be a problem, but one I'm willing to overcome. So real now...no turning back!

Here's a video to get me inspired:


No comments:

Post a Comment