Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Radiation is Monumentally BORING!

And a giant time suck!

And really cutting into my social life!

Every day the same old thing. Blah, blah, blah. 

Thank goodness for the friends that are driving me every day. This does actually make it quite a bit more enjoyable than it probably should be. Entirely more fun than a girl should be allowed to have. I highly recommend this as a strategy to anyone who has the misfortune to have to go through radiation. Conscript friends into coming with you. A different one each day. It's the most creative way I can think of to keep in touch. And honestly, you don't feel quite so lonely. And then you have witnesses to the craziness that is your life!

And as for radiation itself, well, I guess not every day is boring.

There was "take you grandparent to radiation" day. That REALLY put a crimp in my day when it was running 45 minutes behind schedule.

There was the day when I decided to mention some interesting symptoms I was having...it went something like this:
Me: So, I'm having some shortness of breath. I'm totally used to this with chemo, but thought it was better, and now it seems to be back. And since you're radiating my lung and all, I thought I'd bring it up.
Doc: Hmmmm, that's unusual and shouldn't be happening. We could send you for X-rays? Blood counts? Appointment with chemo doc?
Me: yeah, I think I'm fine. Lets chalk it up to chemo, the gift that keeps on giving. Gotta run, bye!
(Because the minute anyone mentions X-rays, scans, blood draws, or more appointments I have learned to RUN from the building).

There was the day when the computers weren't synch-ing properly (the one the techs were using and the one that controls the machine) and everything went soooo slooooowly. Kinda reminded me of being at school.

And then there was today, which started off great (sarcasm) when the tech said, "Hmmmm, that's interesting." Yeah, when they have to page the physicist on site to come check out the "weird" thing the machine is doing, you know that you are in for some fun times.

Just so you know, I am going to be doing some "Take Care of the Caregiver" guest posts over these last many weeks of radiation so you don't have to hear me continually say: radiation...blah, blah, blah...
Stay tuned for those! I'm very excited for you to hear what it's like to be a caregiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment