Sunday, November 3, 2013

Another Day, Another Surgery

It's been a crazy week in our house.

Teenage boy drama...awesome. (This will be another book someday, I promise).

Halloween...I've realized that what used to be my favorite holiday, just doesn't have very many good memories associated with it these past couple of years. I actually spent the weekend considering cleaning out all the decorations I've amassed over the years and just getting rid of them now. Never got in the mood to decorate this year, and not sure how I'll feel in the future. 

Last day of work for awhile...exhausting. Work is SO. MUCH. HARDER than it ever used to be. Probably wasn't ready to go back. Will have 6 weeks off to re-evaluate.

And now, I've got about 3 hours to stay awake so that I can have my "last meal" before yet another surgery tomorrow morning. No eating or drinking ANYTHING after midnight. And believe me when I tell you that since this makes the 5th surgery in the last year, I'm an expert and have learned some valuable pre- and post-op lessons. The most valuable pre-op strategy? When they say midnight is the cut-off, that's not entirely true, BUT it does mean that you can eat and drink all you'd like right at the deadline. And then you won't be STARVING and DYING OF THIRST in the morning when you wake up. So, Keith and I went to dinner and dessert (just us), and then home to watch some TV and do laundry (whoohoo, exciting!), and now to stay up so that I can have "dinner, part 2" at 11:45pm. Haven't decided what that meal is going to be because I'm not actually that hungry yet, but it will include a GIANT glass of honeycrisp apple cider plus a glass or 2 of water. Seriously, after the first surgery, when I was so parched in the morning I almost killed a nurse for her mocha, I have learned to load up at midnight.

Tomorrow, we have to be at the hospital at 6:45am. This might seem like the butt-crack of dawn (because it is), but it is MUCH later than the original 5:15am that they told me, so I am actually celebrating this painfully early time. I have no idea what time the surgery will be however, so you'll have to stay tuned. 

And this is where I'm at with my medical care: I know almost nothing about what they are doing to me tomorrow. I go into kind of a trance when I listen to doctors explain details these days and my brain surely doesn't retain any of the information. And I don't even care. I need it done? Great, let's do it! Symptoms? Side effects? Long-term care? Didn't even ask...

And on a funny note: the hospital where I'm having this surgery tomorrow is the hospital that is suing me for a past-due balance. Yes, they are actually taking me to court because we have a relatively small outstanding balance. Of course, since we made payment arrangements with them and then they stopped billing us, we kind of assumed that we'd paid it off, but fine, this can all be my fault. No problem...I need another thing to stress about. I mean, it's not like you haven't received tens of thousands of dollars from my insurance company or anything. UGH! This is a post for another day as it makes me so angry that I have to go to court over this now. And as tempted as I am to say something tomorrow, I'm sure it is in my best interest not to bring it up before they operate...

No comments:

Post a Comment