Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Relay for Life!

This past weekend I participated in Relay For Life by leading Team Stupid Cancer.

IT WAS AN INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE!

I had never done a RFL event before so I had no idea what to expect. And it's possible that I wasn't the world's best team captain. But I am so grateful for the friends and family that joined the team. And everyone that stopped by to say "Hello" during the event.

This post would be incredibly long if I wrote about everything, but I just want to include the highlights:


Girl child and some of her friends joined the team! 





Teen boy came to visit and walk some laps with his mom. And he didn't die.





Team Stupid Cancer was AWESOME! We raised over $3,500!


Yeah to Lynn who stayed the entire time with me!


Yeah to Shay who came at 3AM and walked through the early morning hours!


Awesome friends who came and walked an hour here and there, or stayed for awhile and put in MANY laps. Next year, we will track our laps walked better.





The luminaria ceremony was incredible! I wish I'd known just how moving it would be. I would've made sure that my whole team was there to experience it. And my friend Senator Andy Hill was the guest speaker for the ceremony so it felt even more special to me.







There was entertainment throughout the event, including a beauty pageant...where the guys did their best imitation of beauty queens. One of the teens I've known since he was very young participated in the event. It was so much fun to watch!




I felt loved all weekend because friends who were not participating kept stopping by to do a lap to two (or more), bring beverages and snacks, and just say hi and cheer us on. THANK YOU!

My survivor friends were out in force!!! Hooray to all of us! Keep up the fight!





Feeling like you missed out? Oh, you did. But not to worry. I will definitely be doing this again, and my goal is to have a HUGE team next year. You can join us!

Thank you to all of you that donated to the cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment